Rocky Mountaineer lists their trains as the ‘Greatest trains in the World’. Whilst we accept that their trains are truly remarkable – and the sightseeing even more so – the’ greatest’ appellation, when there are so many other exceptional trains to enjoy, may seem a trifle enthusiastic.
What they can realistically lay claim to is having one of the greatest, daylight travel, trains in the world. Rocky Mountaineer trains only travel during the day so you won’t miss a single minute of the spectacular views. More like luxurious mobile viewing platforms than the trains you are familiar with designed to carry passenger traffic, these extraordinary tours will captivate you from the moment you board.
Additionally, of the world’s famed trains, the Australian Ghan, South Africa’s Blue, India’s Palace on Wheels, Peru’s Hiram Bingham and the extraordinary Trans – Siberian Express; of these, the most conveniently reached from Europe is surely the Rocky Mountaineer.
With frequent air services to and from Vancouver from all major airports in Europe, the delights of this train are just a few hours flight away. After arrival, we would encourage you to spend a day or so recovering from your circadian dysrhythmia and enjoy the many and varied pleasures found in and around Vancouver. Once reenergized, because you’ll need all your senses in high gear, board the Rocky Mountaineer to Calgary and begin one of the most awe-inspiring journeys on the planet.
There is nothing that matches a majestic mountain to engage the eye; and you’ll wish you had more than two eyes when travelling through the mighty Canadian Rockies.
The Canadian Rockies are somewhat different from their close cousins to the south. Formed more recently, geologically speaking, they are more sharply defined. Carved more from glaciation than rivers, the edges are more jagged, the sides steeper and sharper, the images more stark against the clear blue backdrop.
Towering snow covered peaks, plunging gorges, rivers hurrying toward the ocean and thousands of ancient trees standing like sentinels alongside the track, this is, without exaggeration or hyperbole, an astounding, astonishing, amazing experience.
And that’s just the scenery!
The glass-domed carriages, luxury seating and gourmet meals provided with the premium GoldLeaf service, would be worth the journey even without the sweeping panoramic views of beautiful western Canada.
Rocky Mountaineer Information
- Route Map
- Scenic Highlights
- Rail Tours that include the Rocky Mountianeer
- Train Tickets, Schedules, Amenities, Accommodations & Carriages
- Candian Rockies
- Jasper National Park
- Lake Louise
Banff the Beautiful
Rail-drive holiday from Vancouver through the Canadian Rockies including scenic touring in Banff National Park
6 Days From: £1,029
View Banff the Beautiful
Canadian Rockies Highlights
Scenic rail holiday aboard the Rocky Mountaineer from Vancouver through the Canadian Rockies to Calgary.
6 Days From: £1,509
View Canadian Rockies Highlights
Grand Rail Circle
Rail holiday aboard the Rocky Mountaineer from Vancouver to Quesnel, Jasper, Lake Louise, and Banff, returning to Vancouver by way of Kamloops.
11 days From: £2,495
View Grand Rail Circle
train holiday aboard the Rocky Mountaineer from Vancouver through the alpine towns of Jasper, Lake Louise, and Banff to Calgary.
8 days From: £1,465
View Western Explorer
Classic Vancouver to Banff
Discover the natural beauty of the Pacific Northwest and the scenic wonders of “The Crown of the Continent” as you travel from Chicago to Seattle with a stay at one of America’s best-loved natural attractions, Glacier National Park, along your route.
4 days From: £687
View Classic Vancouver to Banff
Sample City Pairs
Vancouver, BC to Jasper, AB
Vancouver, BC to Banff, AB
Vancouver, BC to Whistler, BC
Rocky Mountaineer Schedule
MealsMeals are different for Redleaf and Goldleaf.
- Redleaf Meals: Chilled breakfasts and lunches served at your seat, and a glass of complimentary wine with lunch.
- Goldleaf Meals: Cooked breakfast and lunch severed in the dinning room on the lower part of the goldleaf carriage made by award winnign onboard chefs.
BaggageOvernight Bag (Red Leaf only) (per traveller):
- Maximum 1 pieces
- Maximum dimensions of each carry-on: 23cm x 92cm x 46cm (9 x 36 x 18 in.)
- Maximum weight: Up to 30 kg (66 lb.)
Smoking policyRocky Mountaineer is non-smoking. Smoking rooms in the hotels are limited smoking rooms available so please make sure you indicate your preference you book your tour.
Redleaf Service:Rocky Mountaineer RedLeaf Service is a truly civilized way to experience a great all-daylight adventure. Settle back in your roomy, reclining seat and enjoy the commentary and service provided by your Onboard Attendant. Delicious chilled breakfasts and luncheon selections are served at your seat, so you will not miss a moment of the spectacular scenery through the large picture windows. Enjoy the thrill of the Canadian Rockies in classic style with Rocky Mountaineer RedLeaf Service.
- Roomy reclining seats which can rotate to accommodate groups of four
- Large picture windows
- Chilled breakfasts and lunches served at your seat, and a glass of complimentary wine at lunch
- Complimentary non-alcoholic beverages and snacks while being entertained by commentary from your Onboard Attendants
- Access the exclusive RedLeaf Lounge Car while travelling on the Rainforest to Gold Rush route
- Overnight in hotel accommodation in Kamloops or Quesnel transfers to and from the train on your package tour
Goldleaf Service Seats:Our custom-designed, two level, glass-domed GoldLeaf coach puts you right in the middle of the awe-inspiring scenery of the Canadian Rockies. Take in the dazzling vistas upstairs, and enjoy delightful meals downstairs.
From the attentive service provided by your Onboard Attendants, to the gourmet meals prepared from regional cuisine by our award-winning, onboard chefs. GoldLeaf Service is quite simply, as good as it gets.
- Panoramic views from full-length, dome windows
- Reclining seats that rotate to accommodate groups of four
- Full gallery kitchen
- 36 dining room seats with picture windows (four guests per table)
- Temperature-controlled comfort
- Spiral staircase and ADA elevator to dome level
- Overnight in hotel accommodation in Kamloops or Quesnel with luggage delivered to your hotel
- Enjoy transfers to and from the train on your package tour